Tuesday, February 21, 2017

My sister posted - "Remembering my dad today. It's his birthday, and he would have been 83 years old." She also added some fun family photos, which, reminded me of his charm and warmth. One of the greatest qualities my father shared was making sure that everyone was included. The best and most obvious example is when he coached baseball he insisted that every kid on the team play in every game. Perhaps it cost us a game or two, but, it made us a more complete group of players, and, it showed us the importance of community. I've always felt that I grew up in a special place and in a special time, in an amazing family/community. Both of my parents were a large part of that. I wrote this song in 2015 with my father in mind. Mostly, the badly painted image of a blue bird in flight on the upper wall of the crematorium is what convinced me that I would no longer spend time with him, however - the time we spent was lovely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment